Lecturer In Brass InstrumentsUniversity of the Free State
Western CapeSouth Africa
5 days ago0 Applicants
- Teach brass instruments at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Teach chamber music/ensemble at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Teach brass instrument teaching method.
- Assist with the management of the Free State Youth Wind Ensemble.
- Co-conduct the Free State Youth Wind Ensemble.
- Coordinate with other large ensemble management.
- Contribute to the OSM's research outputs (creative/academic).
- Provide academic supervision.
- Maintain an active performing career.
- Manage the Heidedal and similar outreach projects.
- Active engagement in recruiting.
- Accompany the School on recruitment trips.
- Assist with OSM artistic initiatives.
Inherent Job Requirements:
- A PhD in Performance studies in any Brass instrument on NQF level 10, or equivalent qualification (for a permanent appointment)
- Master’s degree in Performance studies in any Brass instrument on NQF level 9, or equivalent qualification (contract appointment: 5 years during which a PhD on NQF level 10 MUST be obtained to be converted into a permanent position).
- Teaching experience in various brass instruments.
- Proven experience in conducting large ensembles.
- Proven experience with outreach projects.
- Demonstrate proven artistry as a solo, chamber music, and orchestral performer at national and/or international levels.
- A good academic record
- Proven record of creative outputs at national and/or international level.
- Experienced pedagogue and performer or pedagogue and performer with outstanding potential.
Key Competencies required:
- Results orientated:
- The ability to cope with a frequently changing environment and to adapt to evolving situations.
- The ability to be reliable, responsible, dependable and to fulfil obligations.
- Strategic thinking:
- The ability to focus on details, work towards perfection, and approach work in a neat and organised manner.
- The ability to be creative and open-minded when addressing work issues.
- Business acumen:
- Ability to adhere to rules and strictly follow work regulations.
- Proficient in using MS Office.
- The ability to maintain high levels of personal motivation, energy and enthusiasm.
- The ability to lead, take charge of situations, and offer opinions and directions to others.
- Building coalitions:
- The ability to be sensitive and understanding to the needs and feelings of others.
- The ability to interact with others and establish personal connections with people.
About the company
The University of the Free State (UFS) creates opportunities and growth through leading learning and teaching, focused research, and impactful engagement with society.