- A diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or related Safety management qualification (SAMTRAC, SHEMTRAC, Modern SHEQ Risk Management, or NEBOSH).
- SACPCMP or SAIOSH registration will be an advantage
- Strong computer skills and expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Previous 2 to 5 years experience having worked as a SHE Officer or related role within manufacturing, construction, automotive and warehouse environment- Essential.
- Excellent knowledge of applicable legislation i.e., Occupational Health and Safety Act and Department of Labour industry processes and standards.
- Previous experience with Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA) is essential.
- Experience in root cause analysis techniques or incident cause analysis methods is essential.
- Experience in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in internal auditing
- Operational experience and the ability to work independently.
- Site has a 3-shift pattern and may be required to come to the site for serious incidents.
- Own vehicle & valid license.
- Problem-solving skills
- Report writing skills
ADDED ADVANTAGES FOR THIS ROLE:
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and collaborative.
- Strong people management skills to manage diverse teams.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work extended hours during the week and weekends, when required.
- Extensive, In-depth Knowledge of Safety compliance.
- Strong analytical skills and quick decision-making capability
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage high-pressure situations when necessary
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
- To provide support to ensure that the organization complies with Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, its associated Regulations, and standards. To assess, coordinate and monitor the total safety and environmental function of the relevant business unit to ensure compliance with all legislation. The position also aims to ensure contract adherence in terms of client relations, operational performance, commercial and financial performance, development, and continual improvement initiatives.
- The role needs to ensure operations are managed by the DSV standards and policies and procedures. Ensure that the DSV strategy, goals, and initiatives are cascaded down through the organization into the various areas of the operation.
- Support and actively participate in development services and solutions to complement DSV’s offering to the Automotive industry.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement, administer, and maintain the company’s safety management systems.
- Align the safety management system to business objectives.
- Ensure legal compliance is adhered to by conducting audits and surveys.
- Perform Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA) analysis and implement monitor, and update corrective and preventive actions thereof.
- Drafting and updating risk assessments, SWP, and Single Point Lessons.
- Schedule SHE committee meetings and coordinate health and safety representative inspections.
- Ensure Health & Safety Committee meetings are held regularly and documented.
- Conduct incident investigations for all incidents and implement corrective actions to prevent re-occurrences.
- Ensure compliance with COIDA for all IOD (Injury on Duty) incidents.
- Analyze incident reports, metrics, and injury case studies to institute changes that lead to a safer environment.
- Maintaining a high standard of SHE compliance by doing regular inspections and making sure corrective actions are implemented.
- Develop and facilitate safety training programs on policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Benchmark best practices and liaise with external stakeholders.
- Advise management, employees, and contractors on all SHE-related matters.
- Ensure accurate report writing, keep accurate records, and provide interpretation of statistical information.
- Attend daily, weekly, and monthly internal and customer meetings and provide detailed operational feedback.
- Ensure material handling guidelines and regulations are followed.
- Review and evaluate the future for expansion and/or modification of the plant’s Material Planning & Logistics equipment, resources, and/or future facilities to determine the effect on operations.
- Assure Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), vehicle safety, ergonomics, housekeeping, etc. practices are being planned and adhered to.
- Coach and counsel employees on the floor and instill discipline in Material Planning & Logistics processes.
- Attend cycle line layout reviews and provide feedback on MP&L feasibility and issues on safety and ergonomics.
- Review all product changes, understanding the differences relative to the current product and their impact on packaging, part presentation, marketplace storage, supplier shipment frequency, and all other Material Planning & Logistics. processes.
- Review recommended Material Planning & Logistics process changes with the engineers.
- Identify, track, and resolve all process and design concerns encountered during the current day-to-day operations.
- Chemical and hazardous substances assessments, evaluating the risk associated with the transport, handling, and storing thereof.
- Ergonomic controlling measures of different job categories.
- Hazards and controls associated with work equipment, Machinery safety & control measures.
- Principles of fire and explosion on how to control and prevent in case of emergencies. Workplace fire precautions.
- Environmental pollution and waste management; workplace audits and inspections.
- Emergency preparedness in the working place and the environment.
- Ensuring clients’ needs and expectations are consistently met within the scope of the SLA.
- Client interaction and issue resolution to ensure client satisfaction.
- Actively managing daily operational performance to consistently achieve performance metric targets.
- Delivering client and internal continuous improvement requirements and driving Lean culture.
- Customer dissatisfaction process analyses failures with regards to deliveries, client complaints, damages, etc. to determine root cause and corrective actions.
- Follow through on corrective actions and close the Corrective and Preventative Actions Process
- Monthly KPI dashboard consolidation and reporting, root cause analysis, and corrective action implementation and tracking.
- 2 to 5+ years of operations experience in the safety industry environment. Minimum experience of 2 to 5 years as a safety officer.
- Problem-solving skills to identify potential problems and put the necessary in place to resolve the problem. Important to be proactive, not reactive
- High level of emotional intelligence and maturity to manage multiple levels of stakeholders’ expectations within the client’s environment.
- Initiative to act proactively in an ever-changing client environment.
- Assertiveness, clients changing needs/demands must be managed firmly and tactfully
- High degree of common sense to understand the implications of actions as well as failure to act, and enough initiative to act proactively when required
- Deadline drove and can work with little to no supervision to achieve objectives
- Organized with a structured approach
- High attention to detail and quality of work
- QMS, SHE, and Continual Improvement Processes and Risk Management skills and experience
About the company