Deputy Dean - ResearchRosebank College
5 days ago0 Applicants
- The Deputy Dean: Research is responsible for establishing, developing, managing, and growing research at IIE Rosebank College to achieve and meet institutional research targets, and to contribute to the Higher Education knowledge creation environment.
- Doctoral Degree/Ph.D. (NQF level 10)
- Five to ten years of Academic Leadership and/ or Management Experience
- Significant experience in the Higher Education sector
- Experience in policy and procedure writing, evaluation, and implementation
- A distinguished record of research and scholarship excellence, including post-graduate supervision.
- Significant publication record (evidence of national and international journals)
Other competency requirements:
- Leadership abilities to develop, manage and mentor academic staff within the research environment.
- Excellent people and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- In-depth knowledge of the South African Higher Education environment, specifically the research context.
- Well-developed proficiency in ICT.
- Membership in academic, research, and professional body(ies) and networks will be advantageous.
Key Performance Areas:
Embed and grow a research culture aimed at advancing scholarly excellence.
- Create research development and share-spaces to inform, capacitate and establish a research culture on national and campus level.
- Acknowledge and celebrate research outputs at IIE RC
- Promote and develop a culture of scholarship by embedding research practice in academic staff job profiles.
- Capacitate the Research portfolio and ensure a sustainable research development and support environment conducive to academic staff research development and support.
- Work collaboratively with the Deputy Dean: TL and Heads of Academic (campus level) in managing academic staff’s KPA and performance evaluation.
- Build the research capacity of academic staff to ensure targeted individual research outputs, as outlined in individual KPA’s, are reached.
- Develop and maintain research support training programmes, peer support and mentoring on national level and on campus level.
- Undertake and organise training and development of staff through research-related workshops and/or the provision of appropriate resources and interventions.
- Establish and foster institutional relationships and partnerships.
- Establish and foster partnerships with other researchers at HE institutions, nationally and international
- Establish close partnership the IIE Dean: Research and Post-graduate Studies and the institutional Research and Postgraduate team in the drive for research excellence.
- Establish systemic and procedural research structures and directives aligned with institutional
- Manage and improve the functioning of the IIE RC Scientific Committee.
- Manage and improve the functioning of the Campus Research Coordinators.
- Evaluate, improve, and implement the research application and monitoring processes to ensure adherence to IIE policies, scientific rigour, and ethical requirements.
- Monitor and improve research administration processes such as capturing research activities on the Research Academic Tracking Systems (RATS) database.
- Serve as an active member on the relevant IIE and IIE RC governance committees.
- Draft, review, and contribute to research policy directives and guidelines at the institutional level.
- Establish and strengthen internal and/or external collaborative research partnerships.
- Guide and develop researchers on campuses to identify and conduct collaborative research projects that result in the submission of articles for publication in peer-reviewed, accredited journals.
- Identify and drive research questions and projects based on gaps and limitations highlighted in management reports.
- Meet institutional research targets.
- Actively support academic staff who are studying postgraduate qualifications to build capacity at IIE RC in the long term.
- Provide support and an enabling environment for staff to write and submit publications to accredited peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute to research outputs by achieving own personal annual research output target.
- Ensure that discipline and TL scholarship feeds back into teaching-learning practices, academic professional development, and quality education.
- Identify SoTL research themes and research projects by working closely with the Deputy Dean: TL, to impact TL practice within the HE context.
- Disseminate SoTL research results on platforms that will inform and improve practice.
About the company
Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education (Pty) Ltd which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education institution under the Higher Education Ac