Chief TechnicianThe South African Weather Service (SAWS)
4 days ago0 Applicants
- Maintenance and improvement of existing infrastructure and development/expansion of air quality monitoring networks.
- Electronic, electrical and mechanical maintenance of the country wide air quality monitoring infrastructure on a continuous 24 hours per day, 365 days a year basis.
- Ensure data transmission and accuracy of data from the ambient air quality monitoring infrastructure.
- Perform equipment maintenance procedures as per schedule or when required so as to limit down time of infrastructure to a minimum.
- Assembly and installation of monitoring systems and associated peripheral equipment according to prescribed guidelines installation manuals.
- Commissioning and installation of new technical applications and solutions.
- Perform major and minor repairs to monitoring equipment as and when required.
- Problem solving and other routine functions pertaining to the monitoringinfrastructure.
- Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting on the availability and quality of data from the monitoring network in line with applicable SOPS and templates.
- Interaction with technical staff in the SAWS Regional and Head offices in technical aswell as scientific and ICT fields.
- Strict adherence to/implementation of national and internationally prescribed standards and SOPs in respect of the air quality monitoring infrastructure maintenance and data management and reporting.
- Provision of technical support to remote locations (Background stations and Regional offices).
- Provide guidance to and assist junior staff in the solving of problems, scheduled tasks, and other routine functions pertaining to the monitoring infrastructure.
- Ensure that the requirements for preventative and corrective maintenance as well as infrastructure recapitalization are estimated, motivated for and communicated to management and included in Departmental budgets.
- Maintain good/productive stakeholder and client relationships and ensure > 80% client satisfaction.
- Assist with the management and implementation of the Regional Centers for air quality and meteorological monitoring.
- Ensure adherence to ISO 9001 and ISO 17025.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in ambient air quality monitoring technologies and techniques.4
- Ability to work independently to solve problems, and perform tasks and other routine functions pertaining to the monitoring infrastructure.
- Contribute to the strategic direction and business plan of the South African Weather
- Service, and pay special attention to targets, transformation and recapitalization.
- Act as a mentor to junior staff and provide support to the Regional offices and remote locations.
- Manage air quality workshop and the job card system.
- Ensure equipment and consumables are purchased timeously and maintain operating stock.
- Ensure project expenditure within time and budget.
- A 4-year qualification related to Electronic or Electrical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry or Environmental Management.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in ambient air quality monitoring or other environmental monitoring that involved equipment/instrument commissioning (including siting), instrument operation, maintenance, calibration, repair and data transmission.
- Advanced or expert skills in ambient air quality monitoring instrument operation, maintenance and repair.
- Advanced knowledge of ambient air quality monitoring instruments and measurement technics.
- Good knowledge of computer and information systems as well as database management systems.
- Knowledge of air quality legislation, laboratory quality systems, monitoring equipment maintenance and repair.
- Code 8 driver’s license for a gear shift vehicle (manual).
- Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints.
- Ability and willingness to work over-time (weekends included) as and when needed.
- Ability to travel long distance and sleep-over away from home as per maintenance schedules when required.
- Project management skills and experience.
About the company
SAWS is an agency of the Department of Environmental Affairs and is governed by a board. SAWS is the authority for weather and climate forecasting in South Africa.